The Commons has different types of platforms that individuals and groups  use to communicate and collaborate — Groups (with discussion forums, papers, docs) and Sites. So why use a site, rather than a group?

Sites offer:

• A more flexible system of publishing than groups. The visual appearance of the site can be altered through the use of themes. The functionality of the blog can be changed by the activation of various plugins
  • A way for non-CUNY users to contribute to the conversation through comments (since only members of CUNY can create accounts on the Commons, only members of CUNY can join groups
  • A more advanced system of privacy. Whereas groups can currently only have three levels of privacy — public, private, and hidden — sites have five different levels of privacy, all available from the Settings > Privacy menu of the blog dashboard:

Site privacy settings available on blog dashboard from Settings > Privacy.

You can choose one of the following five options to adjust your blog’s visibility.

• I would like my site to be visible to everyone, including search engines (like Google, Bing, Technorati) and archivers;
  • I would like to block search engines, but allow normal visitors
  • I would like my site to be visible only to registered users from the blog community
  • I would like my site to be visible only to registered members of this blog
  • I would like my site to be visible only to administrators of this blog

You may also make individual posts on your site private and password protected.

You can create as many WordPress sites as you want on the Commons. You can decide on the level of privacy, choose a cool theme, and create posts and pages. Your posts will be broadcast on the Commons Home page, or not, depending upon your preferences.

Not exactly what you're looking for?