Members of a group on the Commons can share files – documents, spreadsheets, powerpoints, images, etc.
It’s a great way collaborate with other members. By default, everyone in the group is notified by email upon upload. Members can set upload notifications off globally – but more likely, they’ll respective your ability to “silently upload.” members of your group may not want to be notified by email every time you upload (or re-upload) a file. An enhancement made in the Commons 1.5 release lets you silently upload.
Uploading Files to Your Group
It’s pretty basic:
- Click on Files (highlighted, on the right)
- Click Browse and locate the file on your computer that you want to upload
- Provide a display name
- (Optionally) click on a folder name where your file will be found. (Click on create new folder if you want to create a new folder for your uploads.)
- Describe your file. This text will be displayed in the group file list.
- (Optionally) click on the “Silent Upload” checkbox, circled in red, below:
Silent upload turns off email notification. If you check this option, no one in your group will be notified about your upload.