Sites

How Can I Create a Site?

1. Login to the Commons at https://commons.gc.cuny.edu/ using the Login links in the upper right area of the page.
  2. While on the homepage, navigate to and select the “Sites” tab, which will bring you to the Sites Directory page. Click the “Create a Site” button next to the heading.
  3. You should now be at the site creation page. First choose a domain name for your site (this will be your unique URL), for example, lib1201 (a course number), then enter a title for your blog. (* The title of your site can always be changed, but you cannot edit your domain name (URL).)
  4. Adjust “Site Visibility” according to your privacy needs.  You can always change this setting later if you want by going the Settings>>Reading in your dashboard.
  5. Click the Create Site button.
  6. Congratulations, you have just created a site!

This screencast will also walk you through the process of creating a site on the CUNY Academic Commons.

Is there a limit on how many sites I can create?

No.  You can create as many Web sites on the Commons as you want.

Where can I find help or guidelines for writing a posts on a site?

You can find “Best Practices” at WordPress’s Help at Writing Posts. Have a web site going already on the Commons? Check out Tweaking Your Site.

What is the difference between a page and a post?

A post is a chronological, journal style entry that has a date and time. A page is a more static type of entry and has the feel of a traditional website. If your site is a “blog” you probably will want your homepage to display your most recent posts. If your site is more of a traditional web site, you might want to assign one of your pages as your homepage.  Follow this link for more information.

How can I password-protect my posts or make them private?

To make a particular post private, follow these steps when you are editing your post: 1.Navigate to the Publish module on the right side of the page. (The Publish module is used to set who can read your posts.)

Under the Visibility area you can choose to make your post either:

• “Password protected” (in which case you will enter a password that you will then share with whomever you wish to view your post) or;
  • “Private” (which means that only blog Editors and Administrators will be able to view your post).

Select “OK” then “Publish”/”Update”. These changes will go into effect immediately, but can be updated anytime if you choose to change the visibility of your post.

How can I adjust the privacy settings on my site?

To adjust the visibility of your individual/group site, please follow the 5 easy steps in this post.

What types of files can I upload to my posts and pages?

Here is the list of accepted file types (through the WordPress media uploader):

• jpg
  • jpeg
  • png
  • gif
  • mp3
  • mov
  • avi
  • wmv
  • midi
  • mid
  • pdf
  • doc
  • docx

How Can I Embed a Scribd Document

The process  is pretty straightforward.  Go to Scribd.com and bring up the file that you want to embed – this can be one of your own files (saved as either public or private) or any other public file found on Scribd.

• At the top of the page, click on “Embed,” circled in red.
  • Click on the WordPress tab, highlighted by the red arrow.
  • The embed code will appear in the box.
  • Click copy.
  • Go to you WordPress page or post and paste it where you want it to appear.
  • Make sure you have either “Simplier IPaper” or JetPack’s “Embed Shortcodes” plugin installed.

For more information, check out the Scribd support page.

How do I let my readers control font size?

Plugins that allow users to control font size require theme modification that is not available to members of the Commons for security reasons. Rather than implement something like this sitewide, it makes the most sense to ask members who need this functionality to get it by using built-in text size control on their browsers. In most cases, it’s as simple as using Control + to increase text size on the browser.

How do I delete my site?

Go to Dashboard >> Tools >> Delete Site and follow the prompts.

What is JetPack?

The Jet Pack plugin is actually a bundle of 16 plugins that have been developed for WordPress.com.  Most are free, others are premium plugins that cost money to use.  Each plugin can be activated or deactivated according to your needs.  If you use a lot of other plugins on your site, you might want to be conservative in what you activate in JetPack – some of your existing plugins may conflict with JetPack’s plugins.  (For example, if you have Simplier IPaper activated on your site, and you try to activate Shortcode Embeds, you will get an error.  You’ll need to first de-activate Simplier IPaper.)

The screenshot below shows JetPack’s main page:

To use JetPack you’ll need to have a WordPress.com account.  This is easy to get, and does not even require starting a WordPress.com blog.  Just register here, get your id/password, and you are ready to activate Jet Pack.

JetPack provides a nice stats plugin that you can use to track your readers.  It also provides Latex support for mathematical notation, and a bunch of other plugins, many of which are similar to other plugins on the Commons.  Take some time and explore.